Monday, December 1, 2008

Today I thank the Brits

As I was driving to work today, I began to think about what my first NaBloPoMo blog would be about. The theme is thanks, and while I don't have to stick to the theme, I thought it would be a good challenge for me to try.

And as I was driving, I was also enjoying a delicious egg nog latte, and I thought, "Boy, I really love egg nog! I wish I could thank the person who invented it!"

Well, apparently it's one of those things that's been around for so long that we don't really know who invented it. However, from the research I've done, it appears to have originated in England, so today I am thanking the Brits for inventing egg nog.

I've loved egg nog for as long as I can remember. We go through tons of it every holiday season, about a gallon a week, as Ricky and I both enjoy the tasty winter beverage. What's funny is that when I was growing up I had no idea egg nog was an alcoholic drink! My grandmother always mixed it with 7 up, or else we drank it straight. No one in my family is a big drinker, and of course as a child your world view is shaped by the people you spend the most time with. I think I was in college before I realized most of the world drinks egg nog with some form of spirit - sherry or Madeira in England, rum in the US.

Ricky made it for me once with rum in it. Even now, as an of age adult, I still prefer it straight. Or heated with coffee. Mmmm, egg nog!

No comments: