Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Herpetic

I'm irritated.

First, I had to go to school today. My street was still frozen. It was fine, I got to work and back just fine, but still. Every other freaking district was closed. AND we had a two hour late start, so my classes were a whopping 26 minutes long. AND they closed school for tomorrow, which was our last day before break, so we had school for one partial day this week and I won't see the kids again until January 5th.

But on top of all that, and the thing that is really irritating me, is that my eye is broken out. I have herpes on my right eyelid. I've had it forever, and I've learned to manage it. I can tell when it's breaking out before any blisters are even visible, I know what triggers it and how to prevent the breakouts. In fact, I hadn't had a breakout in about 3 years.

My doctors have always allowed me to call in and tell them I need my prescription, so they call it in for me and I get started on treatment. This has been going on for 20 years, I know what it is by now and I know the symptoms. So when I woke up this morning with that familiar old itchy ache, I knew what was happening and called the doctor.

We played phone tag all day and finally I learned my doctor wasn't in but they were talking to the doctors covering for her. Then they called back and wanted to know my symptoms. THEN they called back and wanted to know if I could make it to the office in the next 15 minutes. When I told them I couldn't guarantee it, what with rush hour beginning and the icy roads, they told me if I couldn't get there in 15 minutes then they couldn't see me today and I'd have to come in Wed morning.

"But I have to work," I said. Too bad, was the response. We'll call in a prescription for you, but only if you'll come in tomorrow morning. Fantastic. So I made an 8 am appointment and then called Ricky to have him stop by the pharmacy on the way home.

They never called the stupid drugs in. So now, here I sit in pain, unable to even get started on treatment because they didn't do what they said they'd do. We even checked multiple other pharmacies in case there was a mix up. You know, in case me telling them 3 times specifically which pharmacy to call, address and all, wasn't clear.

I see the covering doctor in the morning and I see my regular doctor on Friday. You can bet they won't be too happy to see me. I am itchy, uncomfortable, red, swollen, weepy and cranky. In the span of 14 hours I have gone from 0 blisters to 3. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be by the time I see a doctor tomorrow morning.

The only good thing is that our district has already cancelled school for tomorrow so I don't have to go in. I'd hate to try to teach with the discomfort and disfigurement afforded by herpes.

PS - my apologies to those who've already heard me rant about this multiple times. I'm getting crankier by the hour.

No comments: