Friday, December 5, 2008

Camping out

I love to camp. Ricky and I don't do it nearly often enough. I love all of it - cooking over a fire, making smores, the campfire smell that gets in your clothes, sleeping in the cold air, bundling into the sleeping bag. Love it.

Well, I've discovered something almost as wonderful as camping. Last night we turned the heat in the house way down and made a fire in the fireplace. The fireplace is just strong enough to keep us warm in the living room - as long as we wear a sweatshirt and have a blanket close by. This is something we'd like to fix at some point, maybe getting an insert so we can better heat with wood.

Anyway, the crackle of the fire and it's warmth was fantastic, but the best part was when I went to bed. I'd been sitting in front of the fire for a while so my sweatshirt had a faint campfire smell. It was cold in the house, so I bundled under the comforter, and it was wonderful. The cold and the smoky smell made me so comfortable, I was asleep within minutes and stayed asleep until about 7 - the first time I haven't woken up in the middle of the night in ages.

Today, I am thankful it is Friday, and I am thankful for a wonderful Thursday evening and a fantastic night's sleep.

No comments: