Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cabin Fever

First of all, could someone please tell me when I moved to the midwest? This is getting ridiculous! I don't mind snow...for a day. But we're onto a week now of snow and ice and I'm tired of it. There's a reason we haven't left the pacific northwest, and it's not because we love the rain.

Anyway, Oregonians don't do snow well. We get so little of it that every time we have a "snowstorm" (and I hesitate to use that term knowing that my midwest family would laugh in the face of this little blizzard we're having) people freak out. No one goes anywhere, they load up on bottled water and canned goods at the store, people drive on perfectly dry pavement with chains. It's awful.

Apparently, though, there is one group of people who do worse in the snow than we do - southerners. The husband half of our friends at Simple Metamorphosis is a southern boy through and through and hadn't left the house all week due to the conditions of the roads. Having been locked in the house the past week was getting to him, so they called and we made plans to go out with them last night. We were fortunate that the snow had mostly melted and all we were left with was a wet road. We had dinner at Monteaux's Public House and then went bowling. A good time was had by all, and we got home before the latest installation of white stuff hit.

It is once again snowing...or it might be raining ice, I'm not sure. It hasn't quit all day and I don't like it. I hope it will go away soon and we can return to our previously scheduled program of gray skies and rain. Never thought you'd hear me say that, did ya?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right - being in Hoosierland, our midwest relatives laughed and said we were wimps when I mentioned that schools were closed last Monday when we only had a couple of inches of this white stuff.
At least we're all home safe and sound!!

Unknown said...

Haha, you guys do crack me up. But, it's okay!! We would complain about rain if we got as much as you guys do!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey, girl....
As of 10:00 last night, we had 8 inches of snow - and it is still snowing!!! Now it may not quit until Christmas Eve. We lost our power this morning, went out for breakfast, and when we came back, we couldn't get up our driveway.
Enough snow already!