Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I heart shoes

I've always had a hard time buying clothes. I have broad shoulders - so much so that when I was born Dad was sure I was going to be a linebacker...until he realized I was missing the boy parts! Add an athletic frame to that and you have a recipe for disaster for clothes buying. Nothing ever fit quite right, even when I was young and thin(ner) and in good shape. Over the years I've learned what brands, cuts, fabrics and shapes work best for me, but I still can have a difficult time finding clothes that fit right.

Perhaps that's why I turned to shoes. I love shoes. Never once have I been too fat for a pair of shoes. Never once have they pulled in the wrong way or gaped in the chest. Shoes are forgiving, not to mention cute. Ricky doesn't understand my need for shoes. He's a manly man, he has 3 whole pairs of shoes. He hates that I love shoes because he doesn't understand the need for multiple pair. I can't explain it to him. It's a sickness, an addiction. Perhaps it should be added to the DSM*.

My love of shoes explains why I went out looking for a cute pair of brown shoes and came home with not one but two boxes. When I was putting outfits together this weekend I realized that my brown shoes were completely falling apart and not fit to be worn anymore. That's a problem, since I have about 4 pair of brown slacks, calling for brown shoes. So I headed out to Famous Footwear to look for a pair of functional, yet cute, brown shoes that wouldn't break the budget. To my delight (and Ricky's dismay) they had several options, and a BOGO sale to boot! I came home with yet another pair of plaid shoes (that makes 3) and a cute pair of T-strap camel and chocolate wedges.

The addition of these two new pairs to my shoe family brings me to a total of 20. I have every color imaginable (with the exception of yellow, I'm still looking for a good yellow pair) in varying heel heights and dressiness. I have sandals, wedges, tennis shoes, rainboots (yes, I got a pair!) and crocs. What can I say, I just love shoes!

*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Illness, published by the APA. The Bible of pyschology and psychiatry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A BOGO sale to "boot"???? Was the pun intended?

Laura said...

Absolutely! I almost wrote "pun intended" but then thought maybe I would be the only nerd who would catch it.

Anonymous said...

Calling you old Mom a "nerd"????
Hmmmm

Laura said...

I had to get it from somewhere... :-P