Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My dog is an old man

Not everyone will approve of this, but we've begun to let Jacko sleep in our room. He is an extremely hyper dog, and we've found that allowing him to sleep in our room actually calms him down. I'm now wondering if some of his "energy" is really separation anxiety. With his background, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, he has a bed in our room, one of those foam mattress things with a cover that you can get for dogs. It's on my side of the bed, and that's where he sleeps. As he's gotten used to sleeping in our room, he's started to become very independent in when he goes to bed. All of a sudden, he's deciding to go to bed around 11, and doesn't get up until 9:30 or 10!

The other night I was on the computer and Ricky was watching tv. I hadn't heard the dog in a while so I went looking for him. There he was, curled up on his bed, fast asleep. Another time I found him in there chewing on his bone.

In the morning when I get up, he usually opens his eyes, stares at me as if to say "what, already??" then shuts his eyes and goes back to sleep until I leave, at which point he decides to go outside for a while. It's amazing how much our dog has been transformed by this simple little change in his sleeping situation. Don't get me wrong, he's still full of energy, but he is calmer than ever before.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I don't see a problem with your dog sleeping in your room. Better than my son's dog who sleeps IN HIS BED with him and his wife! And he ain't a small dog either!