Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Book #1 - Merle's Door

In my effort to read 52 books this year, I began Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog after Christmas. Mom and Dad picked it up for me; Mom said the excerpts she read reminded her of Jacko-pea. Boy was she rightIt is difficult for me to put into words how amazing this book was. Ted Kerasote is an incredible writer and really captured the relationship between a dog and a human like no one else ever has. As I read the book, I nodded my head in agreement, laughed at Merle's antics, learned interesting tidbits about the history and sociology of dogs, and wept at Merle's passing.

Kerasote has an uncanny ability to weave textbook knowledge into the story of Merle's and his life together, making it an interesting and informative read. I learned so much about my dog, coming to understand why he might act in certain ways, while at the same time enjoying the story of a man and his companion. I definitely would recommend this book to anyone - but beware, you'll need tissues for the last 50 pages or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to read that book. You get it locally?

Did you read that Marley and me book? This one looks similar.

Laura said...

I haven't read Marley and Me, but from what I've heard it would pale in comparison to Merle's Door. I think Mom and Dad got it at Barnes and Noble, but remind me the next time we get together and you can borrow it.