Sunday, September 28, 2008

Update on job happenings

So, I finally found my contract (it was still packed, oops!) and I spoke with my principal and vice-principal about the job situation.

Basically, at this point they have no idea how much FTE (full time employment) they have to cut. How much they have to cut with then determine who gets cut and by how much. If they only have to cut 1 or 2 FTE, they might be able to cut .2 FTE from a few people. If they have to cut 5 FTE things are going to be bad in our building.

There are four likely scenarios, with scenario 1 being the most unlikely:
1) I keep my job, unchanged
2) I get cut to half time
3) I get cut completely, but due to having seniority, am moved to another position and a less senior teacher loses his/her job
4) I lose my job completely

Obviously we aren't hoping for 4. And really, 3 isn't all that great either. I mean, sure, I'd still have my job, but I'd have to a) oust someone else and b) walk into a new school, new classroom, new kids and new subject area and pick up where someone else left off.

According to my contract, the board has to give 30 days notice to those who are being laid off. I'm going to check with my union rep to be sure I'm reading that right, that it's 30 days to the specific people being laid off, and not 30 days notice that there will be lay offs. If that's the case, and since they've said they won't be making cuts until mid October, I should have my job until at least mid November, which certainly helps.

Things in the district are not good at all. As we were talking, my principal said to me, "I feel you, I know where you're coming from. I'm not even sure if I'm going to have a job when it's all said and done."

In other news, it's supposed to be 92 tomorrow. The end of September and it's 92?!

No comments: