Thursday, September 25, 2008

Please Pray

As some of you may have heard, either from me or the news, my district is in pretty bad shape financially. Things started coming out at the end of last school year, and it wasn't until August that the district knew just how bad things were. Our superintendent has since resigned, and we've begun to see cuts and rations within the district to save on money.

All along they've said we won't know anymore until after our first payday, when they have a chance to evaluate exactly where we're at with payroll. Well, tomorrow is payday. It is the first time in my life I've ever dreaded payday. Obviously I want my check, but it means that now the district will begin voting on where to make cuts.

They've said that they will try to make teacher cuts a last resort. They've already cut our custodial staff, and have begun to ration our copy paper. There is talk that our custodial staff may be cut back to 4 days a week, 32 hours, to save money. And then, of course, we all know that teachers could be cut.

Traditionally, cuts begin with the teachers with the smallest class sizes. That means that, should it come to teachers being cut, I am likely toward the top of that list as I know my class sizes are small. It could mean a reduction in my job, from .83 to .5 or something. Or it could mean a loss in job all together.

At any rate, we won't know anything until mid October at the earliest. I'm trying hard not to worry about it. There isn't much I can do to change what's going to happen, and financially we'll be fine since I can go back to subbing. We were smart enough when we moved to not get in over our heads, at least. I just hate the uncertainty of it all. If you would, please pray.

No comments: