Saturday, September 13, 2008

Crisis averted!

A week or so ago I woke up around 5:45 am in a panic, as I do every morning, sure that I was late for school. When I realized that I really didn't have to be up for a couple more hours, my attention turned to the sound of rain outside, which caused a groan from me as I still needed to replace my windshield wipers. I thought, well crap, there's one more thing I have to do before I leave this morning. Then I rolled over and headed back to dreamland.

When I did get up, about 7:30, the first thing I noticed is that the sun was shining, the birds were chirping...and it was raining. At least, I could hear the rain. I went to the kitchen to look out the sliding glass door to see what in the world was going on, and as I headed for the kitchen the sound of the rain got louder. Being that it was 7:30 in the morning and I hadn't yet had a cup of coffee, my first thought was, "oh no, it's raining in the kitchen!"

Of course, it wasn't really raining in the kitchen. Instead, a part of our fridge quit working and the water was streaming out of the water dispenser as if an invisible glass were being held under it.

We got the water mopped up and shut off, and then Ricky set about the business of trying to figure out how to fix it while I set about worrying how in the world we were going to buy a new fridge on such short notice. We'd planned to buy a new fridge eventually, but I wasn't ready to shell out the $1200 for the appliances we saw at Home Depot!

Well, today Ricky got the fridge fixed. The part has been replaced, the water turned back on, and we do not have a lake in our kitchen. The funny part about the whole thing is that we never use the indoor water dispenser. We both think the water tastes funny. We do, however, have an unnatural love for our icemaker. I'm very glad we won't have to do without.

No comments: