Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Recipe Rec: Shrimp Lousiane

This recipe came from my mom's friend, Marguerite. I had a pound of thawed shrimp that I needed to use up, so I gave this recipe a shot tonight. It's definitely a keeper! Very fast, easy, and good.

1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups milk
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tsp parley, minced
1 pound shrimp

saute the onion and garlic in butter until tender. Blend in flour, salt, and chili powder, then add milk. Stir until boiling. Add ketchip, parsley and shrimp; stir until shrimp is cooked through. Serve with rice or noodles.

NOTES
  • You can use about as much onion as you like, but I don't recommend skipping it. And you know that if I, the queen of leaving onions out, tell you to use the onion, you better use it.
  • You can use as much garlic as you want but again, I wouldn't leave it out. We like garlic a lot, so I used about 4 cloves. I'll probably even add a little more next time.
  • Get everything ready before you start. This recipe goes fast. Honestly, it took me longer to prep it than it did to cook it. I'd say cooking time, start to finish, was about 15 minutes. So make sure everything is chopped, peeled and measured before you start. Also, once you put the milk in you have to stir constantly, so measure the ketchup and parsley ahead of time and have the shrimp ready to go and close by.
  • I used dried parsley flakes; maybe it would be better with fresh, I don't know. I'm not sure the parsley adds much other than a green color. Does parsley really have a taste?
  • The recipe I have says to serve over rice but we didn't have any* so I used a Trader Joe's garden rotini noodle and I have to say, we enjoyed it. So much so that I'll probably always serve it over noodles rather than rice.

So there you have it. An easy, yummy, fast meal for those nights when you have no clue what to cook.

*It's hard to believe that we didn't have rice in the house. We practically lived on the stuff for the first 6-12 months of our marriage! So much so, that Ricky brought 10 pounds of it home from work one day.

No comments: