Sunday, December 9, 2007

Grandma's Birthday

My grandma turned 80 this year, so the family put together a bit of a party. Grandma knew about the party - dinner with the family that would be there at a local Italian restaurant. What she didn't know is that there were some surprise guests.

Ricky and I left late on Oct 18 (yes, I'm a bit late in blogging about this) for South Bend. We flew from PDX to OHare and then onto SBN. We ran into some troubles along the way, but managed to make it in time. We arrived the morning on Oct 19.

Aunt Robin and Lindsey picked us up at the airport and then we all went to meet Grandma and Mom (who'd flown in the day before) at Panera for breakfast. Grandma, however, had no idea we were coming.

We sat and waited, and when they walked in Grandma did a double take. Now, mind you, this isn't the first time I've flown in and surprised her, but everyone had made such a big deal about the fact that I have a real job now and couldn't take the time off that she really didn't expect it. When she realized what was going on, the tears started.

We had a nice breakfast, and then went back to Grandma's and visited. Well, first Ricky and I took a nap, then we visited!

Saturday there were more surprised. Cousin Nancy and her husband Tom came up from Indianapolis, as did Cousin Karen, her husband Jim, and their daughter Rhonda. All in all I think there were about 30 of us for dinner that night.

Sunday morning we all went to church (we took up two rows!) and then had brunch at Aunt Robin's. Tom and Nancy left that afternoon, and the rest of us prepared to go home. Uncle Rich and Aunt Belinda flew out early Monday morning, and Ricky and I had to head out Monday afternoon. Our flight home is a story in and of itself. I'm not going to post about it though as it still makes me angry (and I've never heard a peep back from United).

It was a wonderful weekend and I think Grandma had a really good birthday. I know I had a good time surprising her!

Oh - and one more surprise - we gave Patrick his graduation present; he's coming to see us this summer!

No comments: