Saturday, December 29, 2007

Am I the only one who does this?

I don't know what it is, perhaps impatience, perhaps not wanting to cook for one, but for some reason I have this habit of going to the grocery store and then getting take out on the way home.

Like tonight for instance. We had very little food in the house. Well, we had a bunch, but when I started cleaning out the fridge I realized most of it was unrecognizable, so then we didn't have very much. So I went to the grocery store. I filled up a cart. I brought several bags of food home. And on the way home I thought to myself, "Self, I need some dinner."

Now, I had just bought many things which would have made a fine meal. And if I didn't feel like cooking for real, there were even Lean Cuisines and other fast and easy Meals For One in the various bags that littered my truck. But instead, Self said to me, "Laura, let's stop at Super Burrito!"

Of course, if you don't live in the Portland area you don't know the joy that is Super Burrito Express (and even if you do live here, you may not know it, though it has won CitySearch awards for the past few years). It used to be a major dive, but it had the best Mexican food. They've since torn down the dilapidated building and Super Burrito now resides in a nice, new, clean and shiny building, but it still serves the best Mexican food around. And I mean, real Mexican food, not Taco Bell-esque fake Mex. The only white guy who works there is the owner!

Since Super Burrito is so amazing, once Self introduced the idea I really couldn't fight it. So off to Super Burrito I went for a wet burrito plate. And boy was it ever satisfying.

But I still can't believe that my body and brain couldn't be satisfied with one of the many things that I later unloaded into the cupboards and refrigerator.

No comments: