Sunday, July 29, 2007

Movie Review: The Queen

Ok, so apparently I didn't pay any attention to the previews of this British film starring Helen Mirren, because I naively thought it would be about Queen Elizabeth I, - you know, the one who was Queen during Shakespeare's time, the woman after whom the "Elizabethan period" was named, then woman I adore?

Yeah, not so much. It was about Elizabeth II, the current Queen, and the way things went down after Diana's death.

It was interesting. I wouldn't say it was good, or a wonderful film, but it was an interesting look in British politics and the life of the royals. And it once again brought up the question: Why in the world does Britain still have a monarchy? They don't do anything, they have little to no power. The Prime Minister is elected by the people (apparently Tony Blair was elected at the same time Diana died), but the Queen has to ask him to accept or give him her blessing or something.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, if a little slow, but I have no idea how accurate it was. Heck, I can hardly keep up on the current politics of my own country, let alone the past politics of someone else's!

No comments: