Tuesday, June 26, 2007

So, how much of a commitment can we expect from you?

I had the most bizarre interview today.

I interviewed in a small town about 90 minutes from home. This would mean we'd have to move to, essentially, the boonie. But hey, you do what you have to do to further your career, right?

Anyway, I went and interviewed and from the beginning had a weird vibe. Whoever was being interviewed before me got a ton of laughs, but when I got in there...deadpan. Nothing I said was funny. I got a couple of pity laughs but not the roaring belly laughs I heard during the previous interview.

Well anyway, we're going along and I'm anwering their very wordy questions (who writes an entire paragraph for an interview question??) and then we get to the one that still has me puzzled:

Looking at your current goals and your long term future in education, what can we expect your commitment to be to this school for the next 3-5 years?

Huh? How can I possibly know that now? I have no idea if I'll like them, if they'll like me, if I'll get homesick for the big(ger) city, if Ricky will get transferred to Timbuktu. So I told them that I would like to say that I'd retire from their school, but that I can't do that because I don't know what the future holds. However, I continued, my intention is to make at least a 3 year commitment to them.

In retrospect, I wish I'd said that I would be on time every day during my employ with them. That'd I'd give them 110% every day that I worked there, and that I can guarantee no one else would care for their students the way I would.

Anyway, they also said that if they offer me the job they expect an acceptance right then and there. Huh. Interesting.

So for the first time in my life, I'm hoping I'm not offered the job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Giving 110%?? In retrospect, that's probably what you should have said - that would have been a perfectly legitimate and very good answer, and maybe that's what they were looking for - who knows??
Good luck.