Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's Day: A Review

I had the honor of taking my dad out on Sunday for Father's Day. I love my dad, and I love spending time with him. It's even more fun when I get to treat him to something he really wants to do.

We parked on the MAX line and were lucky enough to be able to take a ride on one of Portland's replica trolleys. The trolleys only run on Sundays, and only between Lloyd Center and The Galleria (10th st). We enjoyed the ride on the trolley car and were thoroughly entertained by the conductor at the rear of the car who regaled us with stories and historical facts about various buildings and public places in Portland.

We exited the trolley at 3rd and Morrison and had a quick lunch at Rock Bottom Brewery. Dad managed to confuse the waitstaff with his order of a steak Caesar - something not on the menu but easy enough to make. However, our waitress couldn't seem to understand that he wanted a large, entree size chicken Caesar salad - but hold the chicken and add some steak. After a few minutes of slow, monosyllabic words and hand gestures, she finally figured it out. For once, I had the easy order of Chicken Enchiladas with sour cream. Yum!

The funny part of our day came as we were sitting there waiting for our food, and all of a sudden we realized that there were lots of, umm, interesting people piling into the tables around us. Then we remembered - the Gay Pride parade was in Portland that day and many parade goers chose to dine at Rock Bottom as well. We definitely saw some interesting outfits and hairdos.

After our lunch, we headed to OMSI to tour the USS Blueback, a decommissioned United States submarine. It's something Dad's been saying he's going to do for ages, but never had. We took about a 45 minute tour of the boat, learning all kind of interesting (and funny!) things, and had the pleasure of having a sub vet on our tour who shared some of his own experiences. It was really interesting, and gave me a new respect for what my Uncle Ron did back in the day. I can't imagine living in such close quarters with so many other people. And I thought our house was small! (if you want to learn more about the Blueback, visit the web page)

Afterward we went home and I pitched to Dad in my quest to be ready for summer league by our first game, July 12. How fitting that we spend part of Father's day doing what we did so many days for so many years. Do you realize I started pitching 18 years ago?! Then Mom, Dad and I sat down to a great meal of BBQ chicken, salad, and baked potato.

All in all, it was a really great day. I hope Dad had as much fun as I did.

No comments: