Friday, November 21, 2008

The reason I love teaching middle school...

...is that we always have great stories to share!

We had a dance after school today, and since I was hanging around anyway to go see the fall musical at the high school (more on that later), I figured I might as well chaperone.

First of all, I'd forgotten what middle school dances were like. The kids paid $2 to get in, and then they stood around - either against the wall in a line, or in a circle in the middle of the gym - and talked to their friends. Everytime a song started that they liked, they would all scream and start jumping up and down, then dance for about 30 seconds. After that, they were back to their standing-around-chatting-with-friends postures. Another teacher and I figured we probably could have just played the first 30 seconds or so of each song and they'd have been happy!

But the best part of the whole dance was the following conversation I had with a student I'd never met before:

Student: Can you do me a favor?
Me: Possibly. What is it?
Student: See that girl over there? [indicating the bleachers]
Me: There are lots of girls over there...which one?
Student: The one in the black, sitting in the corner.
Me: Yeah....
Student: Will you go ask her to dance with me?

At this point I'm trying hard not to fall on the ground laughing. I look at this poor child and say

Me: Wait - you want to ask her to dance, so you're sending a teacher to ask for you?!
Student: [as if this is the most ordinary request in the world] Yeah.

I ended up talking with the girl for a few minutes. She didn't want to dance with the poor kid, but ended up agreeing to talk to him. When I looked back later, I saw that he was sitting next to her but neither one was talking. Ah, young love! I had forgotten how awkward middle school romances could be.

No comments: