Saturday, August 25, 2007

So far, so good

There will probably be a LOT of posts about my job for a while, simply because that's what's new in my life and it's all very exciting and scary and overwhelming and anxiety ridden and exciting and...you get the idea!

Anyway, Friday was a great day. Well, Friday afternoon was great. Friday morning was ok, it was just long and lots of sitting and listening - like, literally, about 3 hours of sitting and listening with periodic 5-10 minute breaks. So while the information was interesting, the people at the end certainly didn't get as much of my attention as I'd have liked just because I was so brain-friend.

However, once we grabbed our sack lunches - true story, and there were NO vegetarian options - we were sent off to meet up with our mentors who work in our own buildings.

Our mentors, K and M, are AWESOME!! They were so fantastic about answering our questions, helping us get the things we needed, checking in with us to make sure everything was going ok. The amount of help they willingly offered was astounding. M took me around to get my keys and then go see my room. When we got there I was walking through, mumbling to myself about things I needed to take care of. After I got done with that, M looked at me, rattled of the list of things I'd mentioned and said "I'll get right on that." What? Someone else is going to take care of my things for me, without even being asked? Are you kidding me?? This is a HUGE change from my school last year, where I had to do everything myself and sit on people to get their help, even in doing things that were their job.

I also met the other fine arts people - T, who teaches band, A, who is the choir director and V, the strings teacher. They are fantastic and very laid back. I really, really like them all and know that we'll have a great little family going on in our forgotten corner of the world. Which begs the question, why is it that fine arts are always off in some little corner, far far away from the rest of the school? It was like that at my high school, at both the schools in which I student taught, last year, and now this year at my new school. I know there has to be a reason, but it can't possibly be that they're trying to avoid us...right?!

Anyway, then S came by. She's the team leader for the electives team and she teaches math and leadership. I guess the leadership teacher is, by default, the leader :-P Anyway, she answered more of my questions and really made me feel at home (along with everyone else). She had also ordered a bunch of my office supplies so that I'd have some things to start the year with - what a great colleague! So I have a stapler, staples, a pencil sharpener, pens, pencils, notecards, paper, highlighters...all kinds of good things. Now, if only I had a desk in which to put the supplies.

That's right, I have nothing. No shelves, cabinets or even a desk or chair. Eh, we'll get it figured out.

I have a job, and that's the best feeling in the world.

No comments: