Thursday, August 23, 2007

One day down, 190 or so to go

I had my first day of in service yesterday. What a day. It was very long, headache inducing, and for what? Well, I got my email set up (they did it wrong, it uses the wrong name) and my esis password so I can take attendance and do grades, and I got a free Chinese lunch. Other than that, not a lot to share.

We got the obligatory spiel about reporting child abuse, were edumacated on sexual harassment (it's defined as sexual harassment if it bothers the victim, regardless of the harasser's intent) and got talked to about sub finder. Signed up for the union, wer admonished about turning in our benefits choices, and a whole lot of other stuff that shouldn't have taken nearly as long as it did. Oh well, that's life.

After lunch I went back to my building where I found out that someone has the theatre keys ("she" does, whoever she is) and the spare keys are in a cabinet that is broken so the doors can't be opened. So as of right now, I don't have keys to my classroom or my office. Then we had another meeting about a lot of stuff - safety, duties, the school wide positive behavior reward system, things of that nature. Then a tour...and I think that's it. We did leave a little early with the blessing of our assistant principal. Actually, what he said was "I'm alarming the builing in 15 minutes so you'd better get out!"

Apparently now there is some dispute over whether or not yesterday was a paid day for us. It's not a contract day, but I (and others) was told we'd be paid extra for it. However, a couple of other people were told it was an unpaid day. Well, whatever, we were expected to be there and we got breakfast and lunch out of the deal.

I had today off and have to go in again tomorrow. Then M-Th next week, and then the kids start back on the 4th. Scary!!! I have nothing set up in my room, and I still have things to scrounge up/buy/make before school starts. However, I'd prefer to scrounge first, and I haven't had a chance to do that since I haven't been out at the building. I'll start scrounging tomorrow afternoon and do a lot of it next week. Friday the 31st is a non contract day for us, meaning we don't get paid for it so we don't have to be at school, but I'll probably end up going in anyway just to get some things done. I have a lot to do and not a lot of time in which to do it.

No comments: