Thursday, August 13, 2009

College Memories #18: Dishwashing Detergent

This is a story I'm going to tell on myself. And before I tell the story, I feel the need to state my defense:

1) The powder detergent had gotten shoved to the back of the cabinet where I couldn't see it and
2) Liquid dishwasher detergent DOES exist.

And now, my story.

My senior year three of us lived in a townhouse. It was a great situation; 1100 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, nice big kitchen and living room, laundry room, and it was cheap. We all moved in over the summer, but my roommates moved in before I did. Ricky and I were on vacation when they moved in, so when I got back I moved in and all was well.

After dinner one night (maybe even the first night I moved in), the dishwasher was full so I decided to run it. I called Amy and said I couldn't find the detergent and she said "it's there, it's the Kirkland brand in the huge container." Ok, cool - I pulled it out, poured some of the orange Kirkland liquid from the huge container into the dishwasher and set it to run. The whole time it didn't feel right, but it was all I could find.

Suddenly, bubbles started pouring out of the dishwasher. Whoops! The orange liquid was the stuff for washing dishes in the sink and apparently it creates bubbles of ginormous proportions when used in a dishwasher. I opened it and started scooping bubbles into the sink, thankful that one roommate was in bed and the other wasn't home...only to hear the door creak open.

Amy walked into the kitchen to see me with an armful of bubbles and I'm sure a look of "don't even ask" on my face. We had a good laugh about it, found the right container, and set the dishwasher to run again. Let me tell you, those dishes were extra squeaky clean!

No comments: