Monday, August 17, 2009

College Memories #14: Fire Drill

We all remember the fire drills of days long ago. You know, 3rd grade, the bell goes off, everyone files outside. You wait for the principal to let everyone in, and then you return to your classroom and it takes the teacher several minutes to get everyone settled down and back to work.

Well, once you get to college the fire drills are pretty much over. The scheduled ones, anyway.

The alarms in some of the dorms on campus were quite sensitive. Someone burned popcorn? There goes the fire alarm. Get the hairdryer too close to your hair? Everyone shuffles outside. It was with pretty regular occurence that we were heading outside in our pajamas because someone set the fire alarm off accidentally while making some kind of food. Once in a while, the fire department would even show up!

I remember one time, late at night, we were all outside and E was frantically trying to study for a biology test. There we were, standing in our PJs in the wet parking lot, and she made me quiz her with her flashcards. Another time, Bwalya leaned out her window in the dorm right across from ours yelling, "I just burnt some popcorn, don't bother to go outside!!"

I'm sure other GFU alums have their favorite fire alarm stories. I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

janell said...

I can't think of any fire alarm story, but just thought I'd let you know I'm looking forward to hearing a story about how awesome your macy ra was...I'm sure you can think of something (or at least make something up!) :)