Wednesday, August 19, 2009

College Memories #12: Mountain Dew

Somehow, Mountain Dew was a staple in our community. I'm not sure why, or what the draw was. Personally I can't stand it. But many people consumed copious amounts of the fluorescent yellow drink.

One of my teammates had a massive Mountain Dew obsession. So much so that she had a Mountain Dew banner in her room, above her lovingly stacked pyramid of Mountain Dew cans. Our coach didn't allow us to drink soda on game days, and Sarah was beside herself. The girl drank Mountain Dew like I drink coffee, which is to say like normal people drink water. One morning at breakfast before a game, I seriously thought she was going to have a panic attack! Although I must admit, the thought of giving up coffee makes me feel the same way.

Other friends of ours were also into Mountain Dew. One day E and I were over by Dathan's* room and noticed Mountain Dew sitting on the window ledge. We wondered what was up with that. Turns out, there was no room in the fridge and since it gets pretty chilly in the valley during the winter, they decided to use the great outdoors as a fridge. I always wondered if anyone ever tried to steal the soda from the window ledge.

*Dathan - our friends were Dan and Nathan, so Lissa and I shortened it to Dathan one year. As it turned out, Dathan was also a Biblical name, so we figured it was quite fitting for our small Christian college.

No comments: