Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Augtober

Augtober. That's August, feeling like October. And why does it feel like October? Because for the past 3 days it's been gray skies and rain.

I'm not really complaining, though. We had 43 days of no rain, so we really needed it. The 3 days preceding the rain, we reached triple digit temps, so we really, really needed the cool down that came with the rain. I'm happy that things have cooled off outside (and in our house; we're no longer melting!) and I'm happy to not have to handwater the plants for a few days. No sprinkler system (one of the few things I miss about the old house) means lots of time with the hose, watering in the heat and watching the water evaporate as soon as it hits the dirt.

But with this weather, it definitely feels more like October 20th than August 20th. Last night, Puppy decided he wanted to go for a bike ride around 9pm. He hates going in the rain, so I hesitated to take him, but he needed to burn off some energy so away we went. With it being wet, semi-cold, and dark (don't worry, I have a headlight and taillight, and I wore Ricky's bright yellow safety gear), it really felt like fall. We didn't see another walker or rider out until we were almost home, and the couple of cars that passed us made splashing sounds as they went by. I have to say, as much as I love the sunshine, I am looking forward to the cooler temps the fall brings, and being able to wear the cute fall and winter clothes I haven't been able to wear since March.

PS - I'm not the only Portlander happy about the rain - Zoo agrees with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I lost your blog address when my old computer crashed so I'm happy to find you again! :)

p.s. yay rain!