Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I went and saw this play on Sunday, and I've put off writing a review because I'm not really sure what to say. So let's begin with a disclaimer - I don't like the play. Meaning, I don't like the script. It wouldn't matter who did it, in which time period it was set, what the costumes looked like, or who was in it, I just don't like the script. I've tried. I've seen it several times. I've performed pieces of it for competitions and auditions. But no matter how hard I try, I just can't like it. And I feel like a fraud, because what theatre major, theatre teacher!, doesn't like A Midsummer Night's Dream? But I can honestly say it's probably the least favorite of Shakespeare's plays for me. Even King Lear is better!

That said, the play was just ok for me, but I think it was the script. I really liked the production concept. They set the play in the Summer of Love, which made for a lot of fun character choices and little details. For instance, the Duke of Athens was a Hugh Hefner type character, and his love was reminiscent of a playboy bunny. The lovers were dressed in Catholic school clothing, which was fun, and the fairies were hippies in their tie dye and neon colors.

The players...well, the players were somewhat overplayed, I thought, but then again that seems to be what Shakespeare asks for in his script. They had some very fun moments, though, and instead of using a donkey's head for Bottom they used a Richard Nixon mask. Hilarious, and a major political statement as they continually talk about the "ass" affixed to Bottom's head!

The costumes were beautiful, the set was magnificent (as always - has David Bliss ever designed a poor set?), and in all the play was fun, well directed, and had a unique spin. But a lack of love for the script really stood in my way of loving the play.

No comments: