Sunday, May 27, 2007

I really think I could be Amish

I've always been fascinated with the Amish lifestyle, and many times have wished I could live that way. And then it struck me - I can. Maybe not 100% that way - I'd never make it without the internet, and Lord knows I can't sew my own clothes, but I can certainly simplify and take pleasure in the small things in life.

So I instituted a self imposed ban on driving. I began Wed about 8:30 pm when I got home from a much needed $100 grocery shopping trip (all that time on the play meant I didn't do anything at home. We were down to eating rice and water), and haven't driven since...so about 84 hours car free. In fact, I've only been in a vehicle once in that time.

It's been very nice. A slower paced life, for sure. I've been riding my bike everywhere. Since Thursday I've gone downtown, Clackamas Town Center, Mom and Dad's, Rick and Cheryl's, Safeway, the Farmer's Market, and I'm getting ready to head to church in just a few minutes. I've gotten in a lot of exercise (as has Jacko since he goes nearly everywhere with me) and had time to really reflect on what makes life worth living. I've come to a lot of conclusions, about which I will share later.

This morning I had the joy of shopping at the farmer's market, another way that we've been simplifying. Buying local, buying sustainable and organic. It's a good thing. I enjoy interacting with my neighbors, supporting local farms and businesses, and again - it's a slower pace. The atmosphere at the market is one of wandering around, browsing, no rush. Not that I always feel rushed at the grocery store, but frequently. Or maybe it's just that my outlook is different, I don't know.

I got some carrots, sugar snap peas, baby red potatoes and a cucumber. We'll have them for dinner this week. I also got some wonderful local organic pesto that we'll have on some Gnocchi. I'm looking forward to that. And I got a large bouquet of fresh cut flowers for my kitchen - calla lillies, day lillies, peonies (I think...I'm not too good with flowers) and some other stuff that's pretty but I have no idea what it's called - and a smaller one to take to the cemetary today.

I have loved this experiment of not driving. I don't plan on driving again until Tuesday when I head back to work, and I hope I can take this slower paced, peaceful feeling into my work week, rather than getting caught up in the rat race.

I really think I could enjoy being a stay at home wife, basking in the simple things of life. Fresh cut flowers on the table, home cooked meals, fresh produce, and biking everywhere I go. Perhaps I can find a job like that?

No comments: