Monday, November 5, 2007

On maturing

My students are growing up in front of my very eyes. As I expect them to be more responsible and get things done, they are now becoming more responsible and getting more things done. Today I was stunned when a group of kids who were working on making crowns for the royalty in Cinderella came to me and said "we need to measure their heads" - and then made sure they got it done.

The actors were all in their places. They wrote down their blocking. They got on each other when they moved to the wrong place or at the wrong time. They're starting to get it.

These are kids who, 3 weeks ago, couldn't remember to turn in their homework. They didn't remember to bring pencils to class. And now they are bugging me about doing X, Y or Z so that they can complete the project I asked them to do.

They are taking pride in their work. They are using their time wisely. They are beginning to act like - gasp! - high school students.

I've always said that if you set the expectations high, they will rise to the challenge. I was beginning to wonder when it was going to happen. Today, I have my answer.

I could not be more pleased with the learning that is going on in this theatre department right now.

1 comment:

Kasmira said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I love it when I discover new readers!

I have to tell you that I am so jealous that you live in Oregon (I'm from Longview, WA) and that you teach drama. You've got my dream location and job!

Glad to meet you.

Kasmira
whatiwore2day