Friday, November 9, 2007

Mystery at the Middle School

This is the name of a play I wrote for one of my classes, but now it seems we have a real mystery.

At 3:30 today I closed all the windows of my computer and shut it down. I remember seeing the computer say "Windows is now shutting down." Then I left school and started my bus ride home. At a few minutes after 5 I got off the bus and started walking the half mile or so to our house.

Tonight, I checked my gmail account. I mostly use it for junk and things I don't want Ricky to know about, like Jim Gaffigan tickets. Anyway, there is an email that says it's from "me." Apparently, someone sent me an email from my gmail account to my gmail account. At 5:04 pm, the time when I was on the bus, the time when my computer at school was shut down.

The email read "don't leave yourself logged on or an evil student might be, well...evil. Thanks, T. G."

I have no idea who T.G. is, and no idea how he or she sent me an email at 5:04 pm from an email account that was not open on any computer whatsoever. In fact, the only computer it had been open on was shut down nearly 2 hours prior.

I thought maybe the time stamp was off but I tested that theory by sending myself an email in the same manner TG did. Nope, came through immediately, and time stamp read the same time that I sent it.

It is a mystery for sure. I'm confuzzled (but it is a good reminder to always lock my computer, even if I'm not going far).

No comments: