Saturday, October 18, 2008

An apple a day...

Things in our household have been very, very stressed of late. Ricky is worried about the economy and money, especially with the constant fear of me losing my job hanging over our heads. As is his way, instead of talking it out he holds it all in and begins to withdraw. I have a hard time understanding this, as those who know me well (and even some who don't!) know that I am the queen of emoting and sharing what's going on in my head. To have him withdraw makes me immediately think that I did something, and then I begin to try to figure out what's wrong and I end up smothering him when he'd really just rather be alone. It's quite a viscious circle, and you'd think after nearly 6 years of marriage and close to 9 (Nine!) years together I'd have started to figure it out, but nope.

So he's been stressed, but not talking, which has caused some tension in our house (don't worry, it's been talked out, the air is cleared, things are fine). Add to that the job issues (although the latest rumor is it will be March before we see more cuts so I'm starting to relax a little) and the fact that my grandma had a stroke (she's recovering rapidly and is now in the hospital rehabbing), and I'm just slightly on edge. If it gives you any idea of how awful things have been, the most stress free part of my life has been the show I'm working on - and we open in two weeks!

Today was just what the doctor ordered, though. We met up with friends to go to the apple and pear tasting at Portland Nursery. This is the 21st anniversary of the event but the first time we've ever gone. Our friends have a "farmette" (also affectionately referred to as "the mini farm") with several apple trees of unknown variety, so we had fun tasting the 60+ apple and pear offerings at the nursery, deciding which ones we liked and trying to figure out which ones tasted like the apples growing on their property. I think we may have identified a couple of them, too!

After hanging out there, tasting and walking around looking at the plants, we decided to head to The Lucky Lab for some refreshment. We got the chance to sit and chat with our friends, which is always nice, and unwind a bit. It was quite the relaxing day, filled with sunshine and friendship, and was definitely a much needed respite in the sea of stress we've been calling life these past few weeks.

Tomorrow it's "back to the grind" with all day rehearsal. This week will be hectic, with work and rehearsal. Hard to believe we open in less than two weeks!

No comments: